Thursday, October 15, 2009

Paranoid parent part2

On the road today I saw many children walking  home from school, some of them as young as 6 years old. And it got me wondering again about my ever increasing worry about the safety and security of my children. At first I watched these children walking on busy roadsides by themselves and thinking how can their parents feel secure to let them roam the streets on their own. then I remembered... hang on... when I was in "Sub A" I walked home with a girl in my class and it wasn't a short walk by any means, especially not for little legs. so has the world changed that much or is this just a case of priviledged living. See admittedly, driving in Fordsburg, these children were clearly not from the type of families where mummy or daddy and certainly no nanny is gonna be able to pick them up by car or by foot or by any other means. Growing up we felt secure in the area I lived and went to school, certainly not a poverty-stricken area, but definately not the priviledged lifestyle my children are growing up in. You know the one, where I can afford to stay home with my kids and drive them to school, etc...

Then I was watching Oprah and Madelaine Mcann's parents were on the show, and I was reminded... that's why I am so "paranoid" about my children's safety. The amount of children abducted has increased immenselyover the years and it scares me to death that I should have to experience such an ordeal. My heart really goes out to any parents that have ever lost a child in any way. And you know what, loving my children this much, makes me appreciate my own parents more to the same degree.

0 comments:

Post a Comment