Tuesday, November 10, 2009

I want to have my cake AND eat it!

When Bilaal was born I stopped working to be a stay-at-home mom, but 3 months down the line I started to feel mentally unchallenged, aka, bored! So I decided to take up a Masters degree (yeah I know what possessed me). But actually I really enjoyed it, I only had to attend lectures for 1 week per term and then completed my assignment inmy own time. Yes I know there isn't much of "own time" when you have a baby... it certainly was challenging, but I managed and it was worth it. Then through my involvement with the university I landed a stint as a student fieldwork supervisor, also part-time. SoI was juggling looking after my boy and working and it was difficult but I was determined not to give up my stay-at-home mommy status.

Well now I have 2! And once again I find myself at home mentally unchallenged. But this time the studies are not on the books, because, well it costs money and I'm not ready to make that investment unless I know I can handle it, and I have serious doubts. So i nstead I have taken up freelance writing. It's not ideal because I'm straying from my profession as an Occupational Therapist and I am really worried that I will lose my OT knowledge the longer I am out of practicing, but as they say: you can't have your cake and eat it! My ideal sitaution would be if I could practice from home on a part-time basis then I would be happy to employ a nanny. Anything else is not really desirable to me.

With this freelancing business, I work inthe mornings or late at night, often times finishing articles with Sumayah sleeping on my lap, her head resting in the crook of my arm and me typing away...
So this is not an ideal situation, but it's the only way I know to defy the saying because I want to have my cake and eat it!

2 comments:

  1. Powerwoman says you can have your cake and eat it! You go, girl! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is no point in cake if you cant eat it.

    you have an amazing gift to improve peoples lives. you owe it to yourself - and the hundreds of people whose lives you are going to improve in the future - to never give up.

    ReplyDelete