Monday, November 1, 2010

Eeww! Grose!

Toddlers are disgusting... or rather I should say they have disgusting habits. Of course they can't help it because they don't know any better, but it is one of the main reasons they need constant supervision. Sumayah for instance loves eating things from the floor (like many other toddlers), be it the annoying little ants she finds crawiling in the garden, or that tiny piece of biscuit that I was busy sweeping up lying amidst all the dust particles and old hardened noodles. She also, for some reason loves sucking wetwipes. It's a huge battle everytime I change her nappy that I end up having to hide the wetwipes from her. If she does happen to catch a glimpse of it,  a huge tantrum ensues if I don't give her one. At first my sense of 'it's not good for her to suck on wetwipes' meant that I would end up fighting to keep her still with one hand while changing a monstrously disgusting poo nappy with the other. But as she got older and stronger my sense of 'good parenting' just got tossed along with the dirty nappies into the nappy bin and I now just give her one. Have you ever tasted wetwipes? They are so bitter and disgusting so I have no idea what her obsession is with it. But I think the thing that used to get me most is when she used to posset milk or juice on the floor she would rub her hands in it as if to spread it further and, if I didn't get to her on time she would proceed to lick her hand afterward! I do take comfort in the fact that these disgusting habits will hopefully wane with time, but for now I guess I just have to watch her like a hawk :)

1 comment:

  1. Luckily Mieka does not like sucking wet wipes, but she loves them as well. She starts cleaning every-thing: feet, mouth, hands, other people's mouths... WE also have to watch her like a hwk ;-)

    ReplyDelete