Tuesday, October 26, 2010

A memo from your child

Yaasier brought home the Ar Rasheed newsletter last night and we were both drawn by this insert that was included by an unknown author titled 'A memo from your child'. We decided to keep it up on our fridge as a reminder of some of the basic things our children require from us. The interesting thing is that as simple as this list is, reading through it I was struck by how many I actually 'fail' to adhere to on a daily basis. Have a read through and see how many you succeed/falter on. Parenting really is a very hard and complex task. The sustenance, the love and the tending to daily physical needs is the easy part...

a memo from your child

re: Me

  1. Do not spoil me. I know quite well that I ought not to have all I ask for. i am only testing you.
  2. Do not be afraid to be firm with me. I prefer it. it lets me know where I stand.
  3. Do not use force with me. it teaches me that power is all that counts. I will respond more readily to being led.
  4. Do not be inconsistent. That confuses me and makes me try harder to get away with everything I can.
  5. Do not make promises you may not be able to keep. That will discourage my trust in you.
  6. Do not fall for my provocations when I say and do things that upset you. Then I will try for more such victories.
  7. Do not be too upset when I say "I hate you". I do not mean it, but I want you to feel sorry for what you have done.
  8. Do not make me feel smaller than I am.I will make up for it by behaving like a "big shot".
  9. Do not do things for me that I can do for myself. It makes me feel like a baby, and I may continue to put you in my service.
  10. Do not let my "bad habits" get me alot of attention. It only encourages me to continue them.
  11. Do not correct me in front of people. I will take much more notice if you talk quietly with me in private.
  12. Do not try to discuss my behaviour in the heat of a conflict. For some reason my hearing is not very good at this time and my cooperation is even worse. It is alright to take the action required, but lets not talk about it too late.
  13. Do not try to preach to me. You'd be surprised how well I know what's right and wrong.
  14. Do not make me feel that my mistakes are sins. I have to learn to make mistakes without feeling that I am no good.
  15. Do not nag. If you do, i shall have to protect myself by appearing deaf.
  16. Do not demand explanations for my wrong behaviour. I really do not know why I did it.
  17. Do not tax my honesty too much. I am easily frightened into telling lies.#
  18. Do not forget that I love and use experimenting. I learn from it, so please put up with it.
  19. Do not protect me from consequence. I need to learn from experience.
  20. Do not take too much notice of my small ailments. I may learn to enjoy poor health if it gets me too much of your attention.
  21. Do not put me off when I ask "honest" questions. If you do, you will find that I stop and seek information elsewhere.

2 comments:

  1. I love this! Think I need to print it out and stick it on my fridge so I can refer back to it regularly. Thanks for posting it :D

    ReplyDelete