Thursday, November 18, 2010

First the electricity, now the water!

Saturday past we had a power failure at about 7pm, poor Bilaal was in the shower at the time! The minute the house plunged into sudden darkness, my first instinct was to get the the bathroom as soon as possible knowing that Bilaal will be scared standing alone in the shower in the pitch dark not knowing what to do! But then of course as I ran toward the bathroom I heard Sumyah crying behind me and I realised... Oh yes! I have another kid don't I? In the mean time I managed to get the torchlight on my phone on, grabbed Sumayah and got Bilaal to turn off the shower and reassured him with my presence... us mums are such super heroes arene't we? lol! I don't know what the cause of the power outage was, it appeared to affect the whole complex as well as the street lights and the shops over the road. Now usually when we have these power outages, by the time I got enough candles stuck to one or other purity jar or saucer and lit, the lights come back on... but on this particular occasion the electricity only came back on about 1am in the morning!

Then yesterday, when we returned home from some of our eid celebrations, we discovered that there was no water!  We discovered that it was due to a burst water pipe not far from our house. Although it came back on at about 8pm last night, it was off again about 1am in the morning and remained off for the good part of today till about 3pm! I can say with conviction that anybody would take no electricity over no water any day. The situation just made me think about that advert they have on the radio at the moment where they say that it is believed the next world war will not be over oil or energy, money, poiltics, religion or any of the other common war inducing issues the world faces... it will be a fight over water! What an awful prospect! the irony of today of course was that it was a typically wet and rainy summer day in jozi.

0 comments:

Post a Comment