Friday, May 21, 2010

More sleepless nights!

I tried walking with her, sitting, rocking, I tried patting and swinging, I tried singing, humming, shoosing and silence, I tried lying in the bed with her on my chest, and I tried putting her between us in the bed, I tried patting her in the cot, I tried leaving her in the cot... I tried every trick I could think of, but 1 hour turned into 2 hours, turned into 3 hours and still no sleep!

Okay so this happened on Wednesday night and then again last night. I think what is aggravating an already restless sleep situation is that the top tooth is on the verge of breaking through the gum and this is causing cramps with runny tummy. So I found myself on Wednesday night so frustrated and at my wits end that I said to Sumayah, "Right, if you are not interested in sleeping then let's stay up!" and I stormed downstairs with her at about 11.30pm with the intention of going online and venting through my blog. To my shock and horror I discovered that Yaasier and I had completely forgotten about the dishes. Ordinarily if it was only a few things I would've just given an 'oh well' shrug and left it for the next morning, but this was a mountain of cooking and dinner dishes and I just have this obsession with not leaving the kitchen in such a state over night. So there I was at 11.30 at night washing dishes, while Sumayah happily sat in her feeding chair and watched me. Yep the little bugger didn't make a squeak, she was totally satisfied with our little midnight 'party'. Then just as I was wrapping up thinking that she should be lekker sleepy now... she vomited! Not alot, but just enough chunks of her supper to have to remove the whole feeding chair cover carry her with the cover and the rag doll she vomitted on carefully upstairs to sort out in the bath. Now there was no room for feelings of anger and frustration at this point because I was feeling so sorry for my poor little girl who had to be stripped down in the cold of the night and rinsed off and changed into clean pjs! She was crying so bitterly and I worked as quickly as possible to get her warm and cosy again. Once she was warm and settled I had to give the items in the bath a rinse before finally going back to bed. At least the whole ordeal tired her out enough to fall asleep... in our bed of course!

Well, the same sleep battles occurred last night, but this time I didn't get to go downstairs for a midnight 'party'... no, at about 12.30 I realised Sumayah was making a no.2 and knowing that she has the squirts, I lifted her up, and thank god I did that, because she made such a monstrosity that it was spilling out the side of her nappy all down her pj pants and fortunately my fast action mommy manoevre prevented it from dirtying the bedding (although one chunk did make its way onto the carpet!). So back we were in the bathroom playing out our little midnight wash scenario and the added  excitement of cleaning the little mess on the carpet too.

At 2am we finally got some shuteye.. in the bed of course! Let's see what drama tonight holds shall we?!

2 comments: