Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Can this be Measles!

On Friday Bilaal complained that he wasn't feeling well, soon followed by a fever and the sniffles. My initial thought was, "sick, again!". I assumed it was the flu because he's main symptoms were that of blocked nose and fever so we didn't go to the doctor. I gave hims meds for the fever, but it coming back, until finally yesterday morning the fever broke and I thought... 'aaah finally now he will start getting better.' Luckily I phoned the doctor and made a tentative appointment for today in case he didn't improve, and whaddaya know, last night he broke out in a crazy, itchy, welty rash on his chest, arms and groin and redness on his cheeks too. It must have been itching like crazy because he was scratching himself open and moaning in his sleep. Luckily I had some Advantan Milk the dr prescribed for Sumayah when she was about 3 months old. It's a cortico-steroid for littlies and it worked wonders. So I googled the symptoms of measles and it seems to match and with the measles outbreak in Gauteng with immunization roll-out this week, it looks very likely. It supposedly starts with the sniffles or a cough and mild fever which lasts about 3 to 4 days. When the fever breaks, the rash appears. Apparently if it is measles it is infectious for the 4 days before the rash appears and then for 24 hours after the rash disappears. There is no pharmacological treatment for measles, only rest, good nutrition and plenty of fluids. But I guess i can only summise that it indeed what it is until I see the doctor later. This morning the rash is completely gone, but he still has the sinus problems. All I can do now is wait and see.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with the measles! Not nice when they are so sick!

    ReplyDelete