Saturday, January 14, 2012

No tears

My previous post was all about choosing the right school for my little baby girl. So on wednesday was her 1st day and even though I was happy with the school I chose, you can't help being nervous and having doubts, because after all you are putting your precious little one in the trust of others. When we arrived at the school she darted toward the playground so that I had to run after her to take her to class. When I said my brief goodbyes, promising to fetch her later, she didn't even cry, but she was also a bit distracted by another little girl who was bawling her eyes out. As I was pulling out I saw the teacher running after her as she tried to make a dash for the playground again. When I fetched her the teacher said she cried a little bit when she realised I was gone, but it didn't take much to distract her and that she settled nicely. What surprised me the most was that she was actually lying quietly on the mattress at nap time when I fetched her. Just as everyone reassured me, she would follow the structure when she sees all the other children doing it. Because I had only just decided on this school the day before I wasn't mentally prepared that she would suddenly be going to school the next day so I fetched her before nap time thinking it would be best for her. But now in hindsight I think this was a mistake. Yesterday I fetched just a little bit later than usual and when I arrived most of the other kids were asleep and although Sumayah was lying still on her mattress she had just started tearing up and when she saw me, started crying. The teacher said she though it was because Sumayah was expecting me to come as I did the 2 days before. When chatting to my good friend about it she made a good point that I probably should have fetched her after nap time from the 1st day, because now she will always expect me to fetch her when the other kids sleep, so if I ever do need to fetch her a bit later she may not be able to sleep. For now its not such a big problem because I will be able to fetch her at 12.30, but later in the year as Bilaal starts doing extra murals and theres another baby, I may need to fetch her a bit later. So I have started talking to her about sleeping at school and reassuring her that I will always fetch, but that she should try to sleep while she's waiting and so on. My hope is that once she's settled in at school and with the whole routine that this will sort itself out too. But for now, I'm just happy that she is happy and enjoying herself at school.

0 comments:

Post a Comment