Thursday, August 26, 2010

Once Bitten, Twice Shy!

Yesterday I took the kids to the local park. There was a cute little boy there with a lovely, friendly mommy. We chatted briefly while our kids braved the climbing structure. According to her the little boy is 16 months, only 2 months older than Sumayah. We parted as our kids explored the rest of the park in different directions, but then a little while later Sumayah spotted the little boy again and approached him. The boy's mom was sitting a few centimetres away on one side of them and I was standing a few centimetres away on the other side of them. I could see Sumayah wanted to hug the boy and he wanted to hug her too but as they leaned in toward each other Sumayah lost her balance and fell on her bottom. She didn't cry and I reassured her from where I was standing that it was okay and that the boy just wanted to hug her. Then, as if in slow  motion I saw him lean down toward her, put his arms around her in a loving embrace and then gave her a huge haps on her cheek! This cute little boy was biting my girl! By the time I managed to pull her away he had already left an ugly bite mark on her cheek, but fortunately no blood! Sumayah of course cried and the boy's mom quickly jumped up, apologised and asked if he pushed her because she didn't see him bite her. I just said 'no he bit her'and walked away to console Sumayah away from the boy. While I was playing with Sumayah on the other side of the park I noticed the mom's daughter arrived from her ballet lesson and then they left.

Now I have no ill feelings toward the little boy or the mother in fact. He is still only a baby and at that age biting is a common problem that develops. It could just as easily have been Sumayah who did the biting. She does after all tend to bite Bilaal when he frustrates her! But it did get me thinking, what is the appropriate response in this situation, on either side? I was so shocked in the first instance and then focussed on Sumayah and consoling her that I had no time to say anything to the mom. But only now in retrospect do I wonder to myself... shouldn't she have come to see if Sumayah was okay? If it was Sumayah who bit another child, I would've been profusely apologising to the other mom and making sure that the other kid was okay. But I don't know if she didn't hear me or if she didn't believe me, if she was embarrassed, or maybe she just didn't care (which I doubt), but this mom just carried on as though nothing happened!

All I know is I will be very reluctant to encourage hugs and kisses from other kids from now on. As the saying goes, 'once bitten, twice shy'!

1 comment:

  1. Scary story! The other mom should have some over to check!

    ReplyDelete