Thursday, June 3, 2010

Woe is Me!

For those of you who are regular readers of this here blog, you may have been wondering where I've been. I won't lie and say I haven't had time to blog because there have been many opportunities. Nor can I say I haven't had anything to blog about... nothing can be further from the truth. It's just that I was beginning to be a bit of a complain pot which is totally not the spirit in which I started this blog. There's also been so much going on with the kids that I found myself craving moments of doing-nothingness where every chance I go, however few I would just sit and watch t.v.

But you know what? I realise that I have every right to be a complain pot in this space, because it is after all my space. So what's been going on you ask? Last week Bilaal had a tummy bug again. Fortunately it was only coming out the top end, changing bedding and pjs 3 times during the night is no fun, especially if in between you have an insomniac of a baby screaming her lungs out every hour. Then Wednesday Bilaal was back at school and what do you know... Sumayah starts. Now at first I thought she caught the bug from him, but then it became clear that this was no bug, She wasn't vomitting consistently during the , no fever and she was actually quite constipated. So all she ate for 2 days was banana, jam sandwiches and juice. Finally she seemed to improve, then Friday night Bilaal vomitted, followed by Sumayah the next morning. So Saturday we traipsed off to the doctor. The verdict? Both of them are fine! She gave me scripts for antibiotics for both of them in the event they didn't improve the next day. Bilaal didn't need his, but even though Sumayah only vomitted her milk once the next day, the monday I went to get her the antibiotics. I have become an expert at mopping up grotesquely large amounts of projectile vomit!

Now let's not neglect the whole sleeping saga. I am pleased to report that Sumayah is no longer so much an insomniac as she is a restless sleeper. Now when she wakes every hour I can at least get her to sleep again as soon as I pop the dummy in. I have realised though that it is not actually the dummy that soothes her, but rather me giving her the dummy that does the trick, because even though she sleeps, the minute my head hits the pillow she cries again. So to avoid the cold of winter biting at my toes in the middle of the night I have resorted to bringing her to the bed. This of course is not really a solution, because it's not as if she sleeps through the night when she's in the bed. She still cries every hour or so, but at least she's right next to me so I can simply pat her back to sleep. The good news is the whole vomitting saga seems to be under control now!
But still... woe is me!

1 comment:

  1. Shame, you've got all my sympathies.
    We had a good night last night with Mieka. I finally got her to sleep at ten AND could put her into her own bed. She slept through. Wonderful feeling! :D

    ReplyDelete