Friday, February 24, 2012

37 Weeks and Counting

I had an antenatal checkup this week, which I was very excited for. I was convinced the doctor would reveal that I have already started dilating and that baby has dropped nicely, because of all the bachache and strong braxton hicks I had been experiencing. But alas, I was quite disappointed to learn that the cervix is still very much closed and quite high up still, but the good news is that baby has defiunately engaged and is in a good position for birth. However, it must be said that all this information still gives no clear indication of how long the wait will be. For an impatient, control freak person like myself this is the worst part of pregnancy... the not knowing when, how or what is going to happen and having to just.... well wait! With Sumayah, at my 38 week checkup I was already 1cm dilated, but she didn't drop till the week of her birth (and she was 4 days overdue!) so as the doctor keeps telling me, be prepared for anything, it could happen today, tomorrow, in 3 weeks! So what does Tasneem do, but drive herself nuts googling every niggle and discomfort for confirmation from other people's birth stories that labor could be imminent. I also keep imagining different scenarios for when it could possibly happen; will it be during the day when the kids are at school and Yaasier is in a meeting or something, will it be in the middle of the night or while out and about at the shops, will my water's break this time - god forbid in public (both previous pregnancies it only broke just before birth)...? I try to imagine what would need to be done in each situation, my way of maintaining some kind of control over the unknown.


It's a strange conundrum to experience, on the one hand not enjoying the twinges of pain and discomfort, on the other hand almost wishing for it to be more regular and stronger as this would signify that the much anticipated event is imminent. As I type up this post I am experiencing alot of backache. The good news is that now that baby has dropped nicely, sleeping has become alot more comfortable. I still struggle to fall asleep and awake to every little noise, but at least I don't need to fight with the pillows for 15 minutes just to find a comfortable position.

So the lady shall remain in waiting and will hopefully find the energy to keep the posts about my progress updated... who knows maybe I'll even manage to squeeze in a post as it happens, because I'm cool like that haha!

1 comment:

  1. I remember this feeling so well! Good luck for the last stretch.

    ReplyDelete