Friday, September 30, 2011

When prayers are answered

A couple of weeks ago in the post My sister's an alien! I described how Bilaal had been praying every night for a baby brother. Well just as with Sumayah, Bilaal's prayers have once again been answered! I don't know yet if the 'boy' part was granted, but I am very much pregnant. But the surprise and excitement doesn't end there, oh no, in true mumdrum style there is a little twist in this story of mine. So a few days after the post mentioned above, I started to feel that maybe I was pregnant. I hadn't yet missed a period or experienced any nausea, but I was visiting the toilet very regularly during the night and seemed to be hungry all the time. So I took a home pregnancy test. I even bought one of those fancy digital ones that give you an estimate of how long ago you conceived. Eighty bucks is quite a lot of money to spend just to pee on a stick! But there I was nonetheless staring at the flashing screen while Yaasier patiently waits outside the toilet for the result. And there it was...'pregnant-3+'...which meant pregnant 5 weeks along or more. As surprising and completely unplanned and unexpected as this was, we were undoubtedly ecstatic.

For various reasons that I won't go into detail about here, we couldn't use the classic method of working out how far along we were, so we assumed that it couldn't have been more than 5 or 6 weeks. this is what I told the receptionist when I made an appointment with the gynae, so I had to wait a whole week before I my appointment. So Tuesday 20 September I anxiously waited in the doctor's waiting room, nervous that I would have a scan and there would be no heartbeat. I was hoping and praying that this wouldn't be the case, that I would see the tiny little bean with a tiny little blinking area indicating a healthy hearbeat.

Finally lying on the examination table, the doctor palpates my uterus and has this really serious expression on his face and my heart begins to sink. I think he's going to tell me that there isn't anything there. Instead he says in his heavy Paraguayan accent, 'well! there's definately something there!' And then the moment arrives, I look at the ultrasound screen and nearly fall off the table with shock... because there on the screen is not a bean, nor an alien-like figure with a beating heart, but a clearly defined baby with fingers and toes and limbs moving all over the place! Turns out I was pregnant far longer than I realised... 13 weeks and 6 days to be exact! Yes I know what you are thinking, that after 2 kids one would think that I would know when I am pregnant, but I honestly had no suspicion till that week.

So that explained why my clothes were steadily getting too tight and why I was constantly hungry, and why I was so tired during the Ramadaan. I even fasted for the whole month of August without knowing and I just assumed that this was the reason I was so sleepy in the afternoons! Well the nice thing about finding out so late is that I don't have to wait too long before finding out the sex of the baby. At my next visit I will be 18 weeks already and I am definately showing already. I still keep looking at the scan image now and again to prove to myself that I didn't just dream this all up, but it's still strange to think that in only 6 months time we will be welcoming a new member to our family, Inshaallah.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Tasneem!
    Its Jackie here, hope you remember me?!I am so sorry that i have not been in touch with you in such a long time but i do think of you often and read your updates! and i am so so excited for you at reading this last update! huge congratulations!! thats fantastic news, and incredable that you are so far along without knowing!! i really hope you are keeping well and resting as much as possible with your two wonderful children around your heels!! the post that you out about Sumayah and her toiltet roll binoculas really made me laugh- what a character she sounds!! so are you managing to work? and how is the able bodies thing going? im so impressed at how hard you are working, how do you manage it?
    I left working for kingston in april as we moved out of the area and i couldnt keep doing the commute once olivia had her preschool place here where we live now in frimley green, near camberley. I minded a friends little girl for a while after that but since then i havent been able to find any work, OT related or otherwise, to fit around the limited hours i can offer - i have been applying for some more LD related jobs recently and have an interview for some basic support worker temp work soon which will be good and i have been volunteering at olivias preschool and on the commitee etc and am looking into doing some early years education qualification to be able to work in that field as i have no paeds OT experience and there have been no jobs coming up in that are :-(
    as for family stuff, we are well, robs working like mad always, olivia is cheeky but cute always! and we have been trying for another for two years now (2 miscarriages last year, and no luck since!:-( but under the fertility clinic now for treatment so will see what comes from that! staying hopeful and positive (mainly!!)

    anyway will not waffle on any more! but mainly wanted to say hi and congratulations!!
    love jackie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. love love love this blog! Rukayah gave me your blog details and ive enjoyed reading! Congrats on your news ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salaams Tasneem, I just came across after finding your link on joumaseblerrieblog. This story is just amazing, Alhamdulillah :) My husband always tells me that children's duas are accepted. You should be asking your son to make dua for lots of things - seems he has a direct line, lol!

    ReplyDelete