Saturday, August 20, 2011

What an eye-sore!

All has not been well in the Abrahams household. We have unfortunately had a bout of conjunctivits a.k.a pink-eye doing the rounds in our house. It started with Bilaal 2 weeks ago. It starts with a little discharge from the inner corner of the eye, then slowly progresses to itchy, dry red eyes that constantly feels like you have a hair or a tiny stone in your eye. But the worst is when you wake up, because the eyes cleans itself best when you sleep so you wake up all crusty-eyed. The good news is that it clears within about 4 to 5 days and you can get over the counter drops or ointment for it. It becomes a problem when you have to put the ointment in your 2 year old toddler's eye! Bilaal was totally cool, he's old enough to 'be brave', but madame Sumayah! Let me describe what I had to do to get the ointment in her eyes. I literally had to pin her down. At first I held her on my lap, but soon realised it was pretty much impossible to hold her hands down as well as her legs while simultaneously hold her head still enough to get a tiny amount of the stuff in the inner corner of her eye. But I became an expert and soon figured out the best method to pursue mission eye ointment 3 times a day nogal! I lay her on the bed sitting lightly across her chest with her arms tucked securely under my legs, this way I had both hands free to hold her head with one and expertly apply the ointment within seconds. Sounds like torture right? Well actually this method proved to be far less traumatic for her that when I was fighting with her for 5 minutes only to get ointment all over her forhead instead of where it was meant to go. Needless to say I am glad that ordeal is now behind us, only to be the next victim of the virus. With me it started in one eye first so the first day I was driving around winking at everyone. Then when it was full blown pink-eye in both eyes I just looked like I had been bawling my eyes out, quite embarrassing. Today my eyes are feeling much better although still very red. Only Yaasier managed to remain untouched so let's hope it remains that way!

0 comments:

Post a Comment