Friday, November 8, 2013

Foody Fridays: Banoffi pudding

A few weeks back my neighbour Mary sent me a whole banoffi pudding. You have to understand that caramel is one of my FAVOURITE sweet indulgences. So you can imagine how amazing it was to get a whole pudding just like that for no reason at all. Sumayah,Yusuf and I had some, while Bilaal was a bit sceptical because he's not a fan of bananas. He decided he would have some another time without the bananas. ANOTHER TIME! How long did the kid expect the pudding to last?! The next day when Bilaal came home from school and wanted some it was all gone. Yusuf and sumayah had the last bit...but mom was the true pudding gobbler! I just couldn't help myself, everytime I walked past the fridge and just so happened to have a spoon in my hand...I took a mouthful. Admittedly I also had some for breakfast...and for lunch. Needless to say Bilaal was not impressed with me. So I promised him I would buy ingredients and he could make another one himself given that he is so keen to learn how to cook and bake. So yesterday he and Sumayah made a Banoffi pudding by themselves. Bilaal is still quite awkward with utensils so it took great restraint not to help too much. I tried to give them both free reign to just follow instructions. It wasn't perfect but it tasted good and they enjoyed making it. They were very proud to tell their dad they made dessert all by themselves. If you don't know how to make Banoffi pudding, it's quite simple. All you need is:
1 pkt tennis or digestive biscuits
100g butter
250ml whipping cream
1 tin caramel
1 banana

Method:
Crush the biscuits. If you want it really fine you can use a food processor, but as you can see in the picture I just put it in a packet and got the kids to wack it. I would have used a rolling pin, but I borrowed mine to Mary so we improvised.
Melt the butter and combine it with the crushed biscuits. Press the biscuit mix into a small casserole dish making sure it goes up the sides too. Place in the fridge to chill as this sets the base. If like us you don't have the time or patience to wait for it to set you can just go ahead and pour the filling on.
Lightly whip the caramel to a smooth consistency. You can do this by hand, no need for a mixer.
Spread the caramel over the biscuit base. If you didn't allow the base to set first it will still be quite crumbly and come up slightly as you spread the sticky caramel so you want to spread quite lightly. It will also look a bit messy...but this is not Masterchef.
Then you evenly place slices of banana all over the caramel. We left the banana off because Bilaal and Yaasier don't enjoy fruity desserts unless it's fruit salad. So I guess ours if mor of a no-ban-offi pudding.
Then you whip the cream and spread it all over the top yum! If you want to be extra decadent you can grate some chocolate over the top.
And it's ready to enjoy!
Licking the utensils and bowls afterwards is highly recommended.

Now excuse while I go have some pudding for my mid morning snack.

0 comments:

Post a Comment